Saturday, June 9, 2007

A More Reasonable Hour

As I have mentioned on countless occasions before, direct employment is for suckers. After all, benefits can be found on the open market, taxes can be better managed, and you can get paid for every hour as a contractor.

Yet, I am very soon to be a direct employee for EA. Why did I change my mind? Cowardice? Convenience?

Yes. In order to continue my employment with EA as a contractor, legal threats, legal risks, more bothersome governmental regulation, and just the inherent difficulty of doing something differently all had to be contended with. Our world is thoroughly institutionalized. It may be a nice ideal to be my own man, apart from the crowd, standing on my own, independent, free, and in control, but in reality it amounts to constantly fighting the status quo, which is exhausting and frustrating to others. Why grate?

So, while I build up another burst of idealistic enthusiasm, I'll just cruise downstream for a while and enjoy the trip.

No comments: