Sunday, February 4, 2007

Tutor Take Two

Last Friday, as will hopefully become my custom, I ventured back to UHS for another tutoring session. I skipped a week because the previous teacher, who I thought I had done a really good job for, and who told me he was glad to have me, and who said he would email me about the next good time to come, has not returned my emails. (Perhaps I wasn't as helpful as it seemed.)

Thankfully, there is another teacher who wanted some help for an Algebra I class at the ninth grade center (the campus where I went to middle school). I was late getting there, which was bad since the teacher I was helping actually had a substitute on Friday, and said she could only hang around for a few minutes in the morning before she had to go. By the time I rolled in, only the substitute was left.

If you seem to remember that days with a substitute teacher were days of lawlessness and chaos, you are remembering correctly. The substitute might as well not have been there. After asking the class if any one needed help (which predictably was answered by blank stares), I was about to abort the mission and just go to work to try again next week. But as I was starting for the door the real teacher arrived for one last check of her classroom.

Suddenly, there was order. Two students were instructed, not asked, to go to the media center, where I thought we had a productive session. I got a permanent badge and everything.

I did completely miss the bell, and so had to try and wrangle a pass for the students so they wouldn't get in trouble in their next classes. This is sort of fun.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

wish I had you as a tutor when I was struggeling through math class in HS!!