Thursday, January 4, 2007

Good Wine

In answer to questions about the wine of the last post. I decided that since I was going to do some reading the other night, and because I was going to make pasta to eat, I should have a red wine. I had recently tried the Yellow Tail Shiraz-Grenache blend, and I really liked it. The Shiraz is a peppery wine, and the Grenache is a raspberry type flavor. The ratio of the Yellow Tail was 80% Shiraz, 20% Grenache.

I had tried Shiraz before, and I like that wine, but I had never had Grenache, so I went into the wine store and was searching for the Grenache section, and not finding it. An observant gentleman who worked there asked me what I was looking for, and when I said "Grenache" he said, "I know just the thing." As it turns out, he had tried a wine on Thanksgiving and had enjoyed it very much. So, he recommended it to me.

The wine is from South Australia from the d'Arenberg winery. It is called "The Stump Jump", and the label on the back says that is because in Australia they used to use a special plow that could jump over difficult to remove stumps, thus saving time. But, this wine is a blend of the following:
46% Grenache
34% Shiraz
20% Mourvedre

I don't know what Mourvedre is, but I now have something else to search for.

No comments: