Sunday, December 17, 2006

But, They're Not a Majority

I've written a lot about the opportunity I might have in Zürich, just because it is so out there that I can't help but consider all the ways my life would change if it came to pass.

In the second phone screen, I had my turn to ask questions. One of my questions was about the interviewer's background. He said he knew computer science from an electrical engineering background, got his Ph.D. and did two years of post-doctoral work before joining up with his current gig.

"Is that normal?", I ask.

"Well, there are a lot of Ph.D.s around here. But,", then a short pause, "I wouldn't say they are even a majority."

My dad suggested that they probably let the guys with just a B.S. take out the trash.

Still, I would be taking out the garbage in Zürich. ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Paul, Just discovered your blog off of Jim's blog. Crazy! That would be really cool if you got the job in Zurich!

But what's with your timing? We were living in Zurich for 3 years, and as soon as we decide to move to the other side of the world, you decide to look for jobs there! We are on our way to Sydney, Australia to study Theology together for a year, or more.

Anyways, hope you get it! Zurich is a totally awesome metropol. It's like the New York of Switzerland. There's so much to do there, you never get bored. But you need connections to find an appartment. The market is tight. Let me know if you get the job, and we can help you find a place, if the company doesn't help you do it.

Anyways aloha from Hawaii!
Noe