Friday, December 22, 2006

Shortest Day of the Year

I was reminded on the radio last night that the winter solstice occurred yesterday at 7:22 pm EST. This of course means that the northern hemisphere of the earth was tilted as far from the sun as it is going to go, that the sun is as far south in the sky as it is going to go, and that the day is as short as it is going to get. Oddly, we will now start to get more and more sunshine, even though the temperature is going to get colder as we head into the "dead" of winter. I guess its because even though we start getting more sun, it isn't enough to keep things warm, i.e. a little more of a little isn't a lot.

This weather report was brought to you by me.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

G'ma Opal has the following words of wisdom for her great-grandchildren.

When the days begin to lengthen, the cold begins to strengthen.

I love the winter solstice and I cry buckets at the summer solstice.