Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Kitchen Reconquista

Ever since I started my first week at EA, it's been as if I've slowly wakened from a dream. I left my last job fairly burned out, and after a spell of a few months working on a web project (which I now think was largely an expression of pent up anxiety or something), I finally just stopped. By that, I mean I simply ran out of the desire to do any work whatever. That's when my vacation really started, and I traveled to see family, read some books, watched TV, went for walks, etc.

But, one morning I woke up and decided that I was ready to go back out there and get a new job. It was as though something simply clicked back on inside me. A few weeks later and I entered EA's doors.

However, rather than being more drained from work, and perhaps because I'm only working a 40 hour week to this point, I have been left with energy to take things on around the house during the weekends and now the holidays as well.

Funny that I didn't seem to have the energy to do these projects when I had absolutely nothing to do. Anyways, I have recently cleaned out my kitchen of many excess pots, pans, and containers, and have moved things around. Once done, I was struck with many new projects that needed doing, and I am now slowly dispatching one after another.

I conclude that the world looks much different when you perceive yourself to be waxing and not waning; building and not decaying.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, they must have been really cracking the whip at your old job if you think 40 hours a week is peanuts! Glad you are still enjoying your new job!

But you know, since I'm still trying to convince you to move to Zurich, if you think your little Christmas break in the US is nice, in Switzerland, you get 4-5 weeks of mandatory vacation every year! Plus extra days for Christmas, sickness, moving, marriage, babies etc. Plus four 3-day weekends in May!

Not too shabby!

Laurie said...

Paul, it is the New Year approaching. It always affects me that way it is time to pitch, time to fix, time to clear away, time for new things. Enjoy it! May you have a blessed New Year of growth in Christ!